We fight when we don’t spend quality time together. I mean at each others throats, easily irritated, and constantly nitpicking each other for days on end. We thrive when we are together, in a place where we can connect and be intimate. It took us years to learn this about our marriage and now that we know, we protect our date nights with everything we have.
We’ve said it once, we’ve said it twice, and we’ll say it again: make date nights a priority! Spending time together keeps things fresh and fun in your relationship. Having a time with no distractions where you can connect is too important to ignore. We’ve tried all 21 of the following date ideas and encourage you all to do so as well.
1. A ‘remembering night’ where you pull out old pictures, the wedding video and mementos from when you dated.
2. Have a Naked Dinner. Yep, you read that right. We discuss this in length in our eBook Naked Dinners.
3. Get sweaty together at a local gym class. Most places have deals for first time customers.
4. Go to a flea market and choose the most meaningful, but least expensive gift you can find for each other.
5. Bake cookies together. (This is our favorite recipe!)
6. The $20 date: the goal is to not to spend more than $20.
7. Go for a drive with no agenda.
8. Relive your first date.
9. Get dressed up and go somewhere fancy!
10. Take dance lessons. (Ballroom was our favorite!)
11. Hire a photographer and do a romantic photo shoot
12. Create your own private blackout by forbidding the use of all electricity.
13. Go to a coffee shop and bring a deck of cards or some dice.
14. Go to Target and fill your cart with something beginning with every letter of the alphabet. Then put it all away.
15. Volunteer together at a soup kitchen, animal shelter, or a local convalescent home.
16. Cook dinner together at home and save some room for dessert and sex.
17. Test drive your dream car. (Men will always say yes to this one.)
18. Take turns reading a chapter to each other of our eBook Communication that Connects.
19. Go for a bike ride and stop off for frozen yogurt.
20. Make a fire and enjoy some s’mores.
21. Rent the movie The Story of Us and enjoy some cuddling.
Marriage365 Challenge: Choose at least one from the list above and mark it on your calendar. Be intentional with it. Comment below and tell us what your favorite date idea is!